Almost a milestone

The Kid and I were playing on the floor when she handed me a book that was in with the toys.  I started reading it and she stopped what she was doing to listen.  She's got this little noise she makes when she wants something, so I started reading again.  When I was finished, she stood up next to me, using my knee to balance and I handed her the book.

She let go.  She didn't fall and she stood there for what seemed to be a few minutes, although I'm sure it was just a few seconds. It was the first time she stood on her own without leaning on something or having furniture nearby to grab.  She was actually standing without help! 

Sure, it wasn't her first step but we missed a lot of her first so I get excited when we get to see the first of anything.  I'm sure she didn't understand why Gladys and I were staring at her until she sat down, then started yelling, "Good Job!" and hugging her.  But it was our first first and hopefully not our last. 

A few other observations after week four of fatherhood.
  1. I've changed plenty of diapers but these four weeks have reminded me just how toxic the rear end of a baby can be.  And drool is amazing at disabling electronics.
  2. For something so small, The Kid has an amazing shriek that rivals air horns.
  3. Baby heads are hurt when they are thrust full force at your nose.  And the baby always thinks beaning you is the funniest thing on earth.   
  4. There is no better feeling than a pair of little arms trying to wrap around your chest when it's time for bed.   

Popular posts from this blog

Marching for hope in our neighborhood

Yet another blog of parenting advice

But you're so young and athletic