Welcome to your forever home Kid

Your Momma called me Thursday, November 29, 2012 about 11:30 a.m. to tell me the good news, we were named your legal guardians.  It's one step closer us becoming your adoptive parents but you're home now.  As our dog Barney would tell you, this is your forever home.

Gladys and The Kid at our first meeting, just before the nap.
For you, the process has been pretty quick.  You've known us for a few months.  For us, we've been waiting a lifetime for you.  I can't speak for Momma, but the past few months have been some of the longest months of my life because I couldn't wait to be able to call you my daughter.  The day we met you and you fell asleep on Momma's shoulder, I knew you would capture my heart as my daughter. 

Now that Momma and I are your guardians, there are a few things you should know.

There is a difference between a house and a home.  A house is a location, a home is a place where you will always find people who love you.  This is your home.

Your Papa isn't a perfect person.  I will never claim to be either.

What I am is a man who you can count on to be in your corner for the rest of your life.  You will be embarrassed by me sometimes and there will be many times you won't like the decisions I make that concern you.  I will utter strange sayings sometimes.  I will have a million nicknames for you.  I will tease you and tickle you.  I'll hug you and give you kisses as long as you'll let me.  I will take you to as many baseball games as I can, explaining every detail of the game until you're tired of going to the corner of Witherell and E. Montcalm during the Tigers baseball season.  I'll read to you every night I put you to bed until you tell me you don't need to be read to anymore.  I'll take you to every Daddy-Daughter Dance you invite me to attend.      

There will be times when you do fall down.  Right now, it will be mostly as you continue to learn how to walk.  As you get older, you will fall down literally and figuratively.  I hope that I can help you prevent the falls but there will be times when I can't catch you.   When I can't catch you falling, I will be there to kiss the boo-boos, bandage the cuts, to give you a shoulder to cry on and hopefully remind you that everyone falls sometimes.  Falls themselves are rarely fatal, they are only bad when you don't learn anything from the fall. 

I hope that you remember that I only want the best for you.  I want the best opportunity for you to have an incredible life.  I want the best education for you.  I want the best partner for you.  I want you to have a kind, loving, forgiving and loyal heart.  I want a healthy, happy, well-adjusted daughter and everything I do will be striving to make those wants a reality.

Welcome to your forever home Kid.  I'm looking forward to our lives together.  




Popular posts from this blog

Marching for hope in our neighborhood

Yet another blog of parenting advice

But you're so young and athletic