Skip to main content

Conversations with a toddler in a backpack carrier

The Kid has been joining Barney and I for our evening walks a lot lately. Once the weather broke, and I was convinced she would stop trying to climb out of her backpack carrier in the middle of our walk, adding her to our nightly routine has been amusing.

Our walk Monday night was a great example. Sunday was the first time she poo-poo'd in her Big Girl Potty, and she was still excited by her accomplishment the next night. She was so excited, she went down the list of her friends from daycare and told me if they pee-pee'd and/or poo-poo'd by themselves.

That conversation got us to the crosswalk, where she pushed the button so the cars would stop and we would walk across the seven lanes of Jefferson Ave. She doesn't yell at the cars to stop anymore, but she still waves as we walk by and yells, "Thank you car!" to every car we pass.

Once we cross the street, Barney usually has to relieve himself, which fascinates The Kid. She always begs to see his poo-poo, and she is always indignant when I refuse. Monday she consoled herself by lecturing the dog.

"No eat grass Barney and no eat poo-poo or pee-pee," she admonished.

"That's good life advise in general baby," I replied.

"Okay Papa. Barney, no eat grass and no eat poo-poo," she repeated. This went on for at least four blocks. I think the dog had tuned us both out by then.

Next, she begs to get down and play in the grass. I feel for her on this one, she loves playing outside at daycare but we live on the 17th floor with no yard, so she doesn't get to play on the grass at home. Still, I don't think people in the neighborhood would appreciate me letting The Kid tear through their yard while I'm trying to walk Barney. She's always a little sad by this, until she remembers that dirt is yucky and there is always dirt under the grass.

That's usually when the singing begins. Lately we've been singing The Wheels on the Bus a lot, but we always start with, "The people on the bus go up and down, up and down, up and down." I am not allowed to sing the "Up and Down" part, but I can sing the rest and I am scolded if I start anywhere else. For her, the best part of the song is doing the associated motions to the song, including jumping up and down to the best of her ability in the packpack (backpack).

All is forgiven when she gets to The Daddy on the bus several blocks later, because she sings, "The Daddy on the bus says, 'I love you, I love you, I love you,'" and starts rubbing my pikey (spikey) hair.

By then, we had about another 20 minutes to go until home, which was mostly spent trying to keep her from falling asleep. This means I resort to kickling (tickling) her whenever I feel her little head resting on the bar just below my head. It almost always elicits a, "NO KICKLE ME PAPA!" then an, "again Papa!"

And when I wasn't kickling her, she was asking me why we weren't home yet. By then, I'm pretty sure Barney was wondering the same thing.

When we finally made it back to our apartment, and I took the packpack off my shoulders, she wanted kisses. So I curled her like I was lifting a barbell and I got the biggest, wettest, most fervent kiss you could image after she pretended she didn't want a kiss.

Most of our walks are like this. Sometimes they are sprinkled with a few more songs or a lot of why questions. Each walk has a new word, a different observation, something to make me laugh or something I can't wait to come home and share with Gladys.

With each day, I know my little girl is growing and soon, she won't be able to fit into the packpack and we will have to find a new way for my walking buddy to stroll with Barney and I. Until then, I'll be enjoying the chatter from just behind my head.

Popular posts from this blog

My fourth Father's Day

This Father's Day is a happy one while being a great day for personal reflection. The Kid could hardly contain her excitement waiting for me to wake up so she could give me her gifts. Church, lunch at the Original Buddy's Pizza and kayaking on Lake Muskoday made today happy.

I also can't help reflect on the past. Four years ago today, we were at Lincoln Hall of Justice, Family Division in front of Judge Christopher Dingell to finalize The Kid's adoption.

It was a strange day. Our adoption could have been over a few weeks before if we had opted to have Wayne County Courts mail us her new birth certificate, but we decided we wanted to hear it from the judge himself. What we assumed would be a joyous occasion wasn't, the Judge was annoyed we wasted his time and told his clerk as soon as he decreed our adoption final that he never wanted to do another hearing like that again.

Still, it was a joyous day. Adoption Day unintentionally fell on my grandmother's birthda…

The value of keeping an old-school journal

I started journaling a few years ago as a way to get some of the thoughts in my brain out in a less public way than a blog. I focused my journal on writing letters to my daughter about everything from my own childhood to her loving attempt to serve breakfast to our family this morning. The journal coincided with my decision to wind down the number of blog posts about her, mostly because she deserves to tell her own story when she wants to tell it and in the way she wants to tell it.

I also want to save the embarrassing stories for when she starts dating.

Lately, I have done a lousy job keeping up on my journal. Until a few nights ago, I had not updated it since mid-June. Life has been hectic, trying to balance a demanding job with an exacting MBA schedule, family, and my want for being involved in city politics. Putting off journaling has been easy, there is always something that seems more pressing on my plate.

Finally I made the decision to wait one more day before finishing a pape…

Year one with The Kid, the start of an amazing life as a family

One year ago, I was running to the Target in the Eastland Mall because we needed a camera fast.  I woke up that morning, realizing that we would always want to remember that day with better photos than we would get from our smartphones. I was on a conference call for work as I ran through the store, half paying attention because I needed to hurry back to pick up Gladys so we could get to Catholic Social Services of Wayne County in time for our meeting.

I didn't want to be late for our first chance to meet The Kid.

Gladys and I were both nervous. We had seen a few pictures during our last visit with our social worker, and we had the family history the agency was allowed to release to us, but we didn't know a thing about The Kid's personality. Was she shy or playful? Would she be scared or was she curious about her surroundings? Would she cry when she met us or would she warm up to us? Would she like us?

We agreed to try playing it cool when we met her. We wouldn't rush…


Ebates Coupons and Cash Back